Saturday, March 19, 2016

A people's history

Josephine Baker: A Diva Who Embraced the world (Apr 9, 2014)
For this action project, we were assigned to write a people's history. We were instructed to interview someone who has been involved in some of demonstration. We recreated a page out of a history text book. The purpose of this project was to tell history through the eyes of the people. I interviewed a family friend who has been involved in several demonstrations such as the #blacklivesmatter and anti-trump rallies. I enjoyed talking to my interviewee.

I started being aware of what was happening around me because of someone who took care of me as a very young child. She exposed me to some of the singers that were a part of the growing civil right movement, such as Nina Simone and Josephine Baker. I grew up listening to music that I love and didn’t really understand.

Josephine Baker was an American born French jazz singer and dancer. Baker is also known for her contributions to the Civil Rights Movement. She became wildly popular in France during the 1920s. “In the 1920s she moved to France and soon became one of Europe’s most popular and highest-paid performers,” (Biography). Josephine Baker was born Freda Josephine McDonald in St. Louis, Missouri on June 3, 1906 (Biography). In 1935, Baker returned to the States and was received as an uppity colored girl (Encyclopedia). She refused to perform for segregated audiences. “White audiences were reportedly used to seeing, and wanted to see, blacks in what they considered “Negro” role --- Mammies and blues singers ---- and could not accept a black woman of style, grace, and sophistication,” (Encyclopedia). Through the 1950s and 60s she dedicated herself to combating racism and segregation in the States.

I was born in 1950, so when the civil rights movement got momentum I was in my teens, in high school. Before then, I was in a kind of protected life and was unaware of what was going on. In high school, I had an incredible teacher who had a huge impact in my classmates and I. When Martin Luther King was assassinated I entered a brief period of depression. I remember writing poetry about it and being so aware on the events of the world.

"Mississippi Goddamn" is a song composed, written, and performed by American pianist and singer Nina Simone. The song was Simone's response to the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama, which killed four black children (Wikipedia & What happened to Nina Netflix documentary). "Alabama's got me so upset, Tennessee's made me lose my rest, and everybody knows about Mississippi goddam," are some of the lyrics demonstrating the political focus of the song early on. Mississippi Goddamn became a civil rights activist anthem and Simone's most famous protest song (Wikipedia).

In 1968, I went away to college at the University of California, Los Angeles. There was a lot more happening there about the war in Vietnam as well as the Civil rights movement. I immediately got involved in things that was available for me to do. There was a lot of things happening on my campus. Angela Davis, who was a very prominent figure in the Civil Rights movement was a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Free Angela & All Political Prisoners, Essence Mar 28, 2013.
Angela Davis is an activist, scholar, and writer. She advocated for the oppressed. In 1970, "she made FBI's Ten-Most-Wanted list after guns registered in her name were used in a courthouse takeover which left four dead," (PBS). Eventually, she was acquitted of all charges.

I eventually ended up in Washington, DC for graduate school and lived there for several years union organizer. I moved to chicago in 1982, and once again there were lots of events around U.S dictatorships in Central and South America. My social life formed by my activities, through my activism I was able to make friend with people from all corners of the world.

I was involved in the backing of the election of Harold Washington, which was a flash-point for a lot of progressive people. I have also been involved in the #Blacklivesmatter demonstrations and was at the anti-trump rally. I involved in the #Blacklivesmatter demonstration on Michigan Ave in Chicago. It was wonderful. I felt so welcome and took the opportunity to learn. I have a coworker who is African American, she belong to the Charleston South Carolina church and my Facebook post restored her faith in white people.  


BB (interviewee, Facebook Post 2015)

The Fallacy, Delusion and Myth  of Tikkum Olam, 07/06/2013. 















I was raised Jewish and one of the values that I learned was that of Tikkum olam.

Tikkum olam (לתקן את העולם), which means repair the world. Tikkum olam is a concept in Judaism and is a commandment which has come to connote the pursuit of social justice in the modern movement in Judaism (Wikipedia). The term dates back to the Mishnaic period and Kabbalistic literature began broadening use of the term (Wikipedia).

My parents all through their life had stood up against injustice, but they were worried that I would give up my financial stability in order to carry this commandment through which I was willing to do. Activism is something that is kind of sort of in my faith and is a part of who I am, which is that you make a difference in the world.


Work Cited:
  • Jane Henderson. "Josephine Baker: A Diva Who Embraced the World."St.Louis Post Dispatch. N.p., 9 Apr. 2014. Web. 19 Mar. 2016. <http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/books-and-literature/josephine-baker-a-diva-who-embraced-the-world/article_2f021e35-4c81-5388-a537-b4dcee3f3503.html>.
  • Tikkun olam. (2016, February 18). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 19:15, March 19, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tikkun_olam&oldid=705653548
  • WW1239. "Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddam." YouTube. YouTube, 24 Mar. 2013. Web. 19 Mar. 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQjGGJVSXc>.
  • Biography.com Editors. "Josephine Baker Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2016. <http://www.biography.com/people/josephine-baker-9195959>.
  • Harrison, Joyce. "Baker, Josephine." Contemporary Musicians. 1994. Retrieved March 19, 2016 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3492800011.html
  • Josephine Baker. (2016, March 19). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 19:26, March 19, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Josephine_Baker&oldid=710884336
  • Y.A Korff. "The Fallacy, Delusion and Myth of Tikkun Olam." Algemeinercom RSS. N.p., 7 June 2013. Web. 19 Mar. 2016. <http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/06/07/the-fallacy-delusion-and-myth-of-tikkun-olam/#>.
  • Mississippi Goddam. (2016, February 1). In Wikipe
    dia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 20:16, March 19, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mississippi_Goddam&oldid=702716257
    "EXCLUSIVE: Watch a Clip from 'Free Angela and All Political Prisoners'"Essence.com. N.p., 28 Mar. 2013. Web. 19 Mar. 2016. <http://www.essence.com/2013/03/28/exclusive-watch-clip-free-angela-and-all-political-prisoners>.
  • PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2016. <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/race/interviews/davis.html>.
  • BB, Interview. March 12, 2016.  

1 comment:

  1. This is a really cool story and I love how you tied together music with fighting for black rights, that was a really interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete