Thursday, April 24, 2014

Lets learn from our story



In the Drama course, we have been reading “The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare. For the first Action Project we were challenged to write a sonnet addressing one of the characters in “The Taming of the Shrew”. The sonnets we wrote also had to make a commentary on gender roles during Shakespeare's time and our reaction to how one character dealt with their own gender role. I enjoyed working on this action project.

Please find my sonnet and my performance of it below:


How shall I see thee from the modern day?
Do you have some relevance to me?
Your change of heart, did you really feel that way?
You were mewed so easily

I can’t imagine behaving as you did,
Your final monologue just made me mad:
“Wives should do as their husbands bid,”
In our time these bondmaids are simply sad.

When we talk about Petruchio’s Kate,
We can take a lesson for our lives.
To not be doomed to Katherine’s fate
And be partners, not merely wives.

When to Shakespeare’s plays we turn,
Let it be literature, not life, we learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment