Friday, November 8, 2013

Rise Up and Take Action - A Freedom song

  In my Global Peace course, we were assigned to research a civil rights leader or any nonviolent leader. I wrote a Freedom Song that highlighted the struggles of Susan B. Anthony and how she overcame them. Also, we were assigned to reflect on our own struggles. The purpose of this action project is to put ourselves into the shoes of a nonviolent leader, and be inspired by their actions.

               san B. Anthony. (2013, November 8). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:30, November 8, 2013,


FREEDOM FIGHTER:
I wanted to fight against slavery,
Vile, wicked, sinful slavery,
I wanted to speak to the crowds
Who came to abolitionist meetings.
Who, like freedom riders,
Spoke up for the oppressed.
The men said, “It is an abomination
For ladies to speak in public.”
I disagree. I am Susan B. Anthony.

I am strong for the mothers
The wives, and the daughters
I am strong for those profoundly asleep
I am the hinge between freedom and dependence

Once upon a time
A woman could not
Vote
Keep her wages
Own or inherit property
(Unless, like me, she was a “spinster”)
Get a divorce
(Unless her husband wanted one)
Keep her children after a divorce.
I began to fight for women.

I did not live
To see women vote.
But I changed the rest.
The welfare of women
Is the welfare of all.




PERSONAL POEM:
I am caught between worlds.
At home I eat fufu,
And speak French.
At school I eat pizza,
And speak teenager.

I am making a whole
From pieces of two kits.
I learn the lessons
Of my ancestors,
And wear the clothes
Of my descendants.

I am, in myself, diverse.
If I can live with my differences
We can all live
With one another’s differences.
Sarvodaya.

Worked cited: 

No comments:

Post a Comment